Games Testing

Reading

I read the article called "Giving criticism – the good, the bad, and the ugly!" by The Closet Entrepreneur. I also agree with the article that the good form of criticism "is known as constructive criticism". I find this is the best way to give someone feedback as you're not telling them everything is good when its not and you're not insulting them by telling them they need to fix everything either. I am of the same view of the article, that Constructive Criticism "offers valid feedback both positive and negative" which is why people respond to it better as they don't feel like they are getting attacked.

I also found it interesting to read the part of the article that was answering the question of "how does one give constructive criticism?". I found it interesting to find out this consisted of "valid and unbiased feedback". I was aware that feedback had to be valid of course but I think sometimes I would have mixed up unbiased feedback in thinking it was valid feedback. I have now noticed that they are two separate things. I guess when someone asks for your feedback, you're going to only naturally reply with how you feel on it. I have now become aware of the differences between the two so I am going to try implement valid feedback in the correct way without letting my personal taste get in the way.

Three Items of Interest

I read the article "Level 11.0: Solo Testing". I discovered that term of "playtesting" refers to "any activity where you are playing a game in progress for the purpose of improving it". I also discovered it was crucial to know the goals of your game before performing playtesting.

I read the article called "Level 11.1: Playing with Designers".I discovered that as a designer, "it is an important skill to be able to playtest your own creations". to improve your own "ability to critically analyse" games and to see what your game is missing. This makes sense now why its important to know the goals of your game before playtesting.

I read the article called "Level 11.2: Playing with Non-Designers". I thought it was insightful that game designer Jesse Schell "said that the most important skill of a designer is to listen". I also thought it was interesting that she encouraged us designers to "Listen to your playtesters" even if they are not "professional designers" and even if "their suggestions may seem to make no sense". She said that it is our job as designers to find out why they reacted to our games in that way. I thought this was interesting.

"The Importance of Playtesting"
Created by: herrkompositor
Source: creativecommons
Changes were not made to this image.
License

Comments

  1. Well a good day to you Ciaran

    I have very much enjoyed reading your post on the concept of game testing and how you would interpret that concept itself and I think that you have a very clear idea of what it is all about and I think that you have a very interesting way of how you write these great blogs and that’s I hope that you continue with it into the last final week. Good luck with all of the rest.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment