Time Strategies

I've never really been a person to write down a time management strategy and work to it. I usually have always just worked by trying to get things done as soon as I can because my life is so hectic. My work schedule changes all the time and random events and opportunities are always popping up. I like to just start things as soon as I get them to alleviate stress and give me the freedom to do other things in my life. I guess my usual method of doing things could be considered a management strategy in a way.

I read these two articles called "How to Beat Procrastination" by Caroline Webb and "The Myth Of "Too Busy"" by Tim Grahl.

I thought Caroline Webb's article was really helpful. The article made me understand that our brain is programmed to procrastinate because it prefers the thought of an easy task so when a hard task is encountered, our brain goes into defence mode and attention goes elsewhere. The article made me aware of how important it is to visualise the feeling you would get after accomplishing a hard task. This is something I never would have done before but even the thought of doing it now, is encouraging me to tackle some hard tasks I have been putting off over the past while. The rest of the article had areas I have already come across or done instinctively without even knowing about it but it was helpful to read about them and to digest the information consciously. This made me more aware of how to overcome my own procrastination.

I thought the Tim Grahl article was an interesting read. I do find the term "too busy" being overused by lot of people who definitely aren't too busy to do certain things. I do also think there is a small amount of people who actually do have a lot going on to the point of, yes they could probably get something else extra in to their day but they would then have little to no time for themselves which in my opinion is very important in order to remain sane in a busy lifestyle. The article stated that instead of saying "we're too busy" lets tell the truth and say “I haven’t prioritised my time well.” I thought this was very helpful. I sometimes find myself saying that I'm too busy when in reality I haven't prepared well for a certain task and may not have got it completed. This leads to the excuse "I am too busy" to give myself a justification for not getting it done rather than admitting I didn't prioritise my time well. The article overall made me realise how important it is to prioritise how you are going to spend your time or else you will just sit wherever you are and do nothing.  

"Prioritise effectively"
Created by: Vector
Source: creativecommons
Changes were not made to this image.
License






Comments