The Growth Mindset

I have never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before. I learnt about it as one of my lecturers set out an assignment around the topic of growth mindset so I had to research the topic through watching videos to be able to understand it and write about it. I see myself on both ends of the spectrum by having a growth and fixed mindset when it comes to my college work. It depends on the module of my college work and if I have an inner motivation to get better at a certain module as well as not feeling too out of depth with a module. I will have a growth mindset in that case as I can see small improvements and mentally I know I'm not too far away from being where I want to be. On the other hand, if  am really struggling with a module and don't feel any real signs of progression or even in some cases feel like I'm gong backwards then I will start to adapt a fixed mindset and start to think that I am not good enough or capable of being good at the chosen module. 

This was the case when I was first learning to DJ. I set up the equipment, had some fun initially but then didn't really know what was going on or how anything operated. This led to the equipment not being used as I thought there was no easy way to accomplish it. However I did have an inner motivation to want to achieve it which eventually did return and help me accomplish it. I started to do research and learn more about how things operated and after each little bit of success, I became more eager and motivated to keep on going which eventually led to me being able to fully operate a turntable and understand what was going on.

I have learnt that the best way for me to learn in college is through gradual progression rather than taking big steps. The biggest problem I face when learning new things is wanting to know everything from the get go. I don't like having to spend tedious hours on something to build a foundation or to fully understand how something works. I just want to skip all the boring parts and get to the end.

I am interested in learning more about the growth mindset this semester as I think it might help me to understand what the best way for me to learn new things in other modules is as well as new things in life. I am looking forward to seeing where my multimedia module will take me as I am enjoying the assignments I am getting so far and the main assignment I am working towards looks quite fun and exciting.

I am worried about my website design module and my group project module. I'm worried about website design module because of how much I struggled with my web development module last year. I'm worried about the group project module as I'm afraid I will get a group that has conflicting personalities, can't decide on a topic or even simply isn't bothered to put in the work which could result in me failing a module that I'm pretty sure you can't even repeat!

"The only way to conquer the growth mindset..."
Created by: laurakgibbs
Source: creativecommons
No changes were made.
License

Comments